Hey party people. Once again I feel like I’ve kind of disappeared down this hole where only I and my computer and Netflix exist. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though and, with that, I’ll finally be able to inundate this blog with what I’ve been up to over the past couple of months! I’m excited to share my last couple of weddings and the few engagement shoots I’ve done, as well as the awesome lifestyle family shoot that I’m never going to be able to stop raving about. I am looking forward to a bit of a rest though – this weekend Gabe and I are headed north to hang with our BFFs in Duluth. And it’s coming not a moment too soon. We are both getting that crazed look in our eyes that lets us know it’s time to recharge and spend some time outside of our house. So with that, I wish a happy weekend to anyone reading out there in the stratosphere and here are some things I have been into lately!
1. After not having been to a movie theater for quite a few months (and being sad because I love going to movies), I finally was able to make some time in the past couple of weeks to see two really fantastic movies. 12 Years a Slave is brutal, yes, but so worth your time. It is absolutely necessary viewing and one of the most accurate depictions of slavery ever put on film. Solomon Northup was an incredible human being. What keeps hitting me a couple of weeks after seeing it is that this is a thing that really happened and Solomon was only one of many who went through this kind of situation. The fact that he lived to tell about it and did, in book form, is amazing. This movie will blow you away. Shifting gears entirely, I also recently saw About Time and if you’re a sucker like me for most of the things Richard Curtis does (like Four Weddings and a Funeral, or as my dad likes to call it, Four Funerals and a Wedding because he really hates it), you will also probably need to hustle and see this movie immediately. Overly sentimental? Yeah, probably. But damn if it didn’t tug on the ol’ heartstrings and leave me and perhaps a certain husband of mine in tears. So much better than I anticipated.
2. This wouldn’t be a proper round-up without a Colbert clip, so here’s one from a couple of days ago where he attacks the CEO of Lululemon for, well, being an asshole. Pardon my language. If you don’t have time to watch the video, the gist is that basically in response to complaints that Lululemon’s yoga pants were pilling and see-through, Chip Wilson responded that “It’s really about the rubbing through the thighs, how much pressure is there over a period of time and how much they use it.” Watch the video if you have time because his comments only get worse from there. I’m thinking he and the CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch need to form a club.
3. Just a week ago, Cards Against Humanity released their new holiday promotion, Holiday Bullshit. Thanks to my friend Justin who posted about it on Facebook right away, I was able to get signed up before it sold out. Based on the fact that everything they do is awesome and ridiculous, I can’t wait to see what these 12 days have in store.
4. Speaking of the holidays, they are almost upon us! This year I am feeling really ready for them too. I’m ready to put up the tree, listen to Christmas music nonstop and watch so many Christmas movies that my brain just turns to mush. I’m pumped. Here are a few things on my imaginary Christmas list:
- A Nena and Co. day bag. Have you seen these things?! I think they are out of this world gorgeous. After seeing a couple of my favorite bloggers with them, I decided that I too would like to get my hands on one some day. I love how unique they are.
- This Bobbi Brown eye palette that came out this summer. Every single color in this thing is perfect and I feel like it could easily be used all year long.
- A lace-up heel like these beauties. I don’t care how uncomfortable they probably are to walk in.
- This perfume that I have been kind of obsessed with ever since I got an extra large sample of it in lotion form from Sephora.
5. And speaking of Christmas, as usual West Elm is making beautiful things. I am in love with the idea of this as a centerpiece for a Christmas table. I could link to that site until the cows come home, but I will restrict myself to one this time around.
6. Now that my hair is (finally!) getting longer, it is taking some WORK to get it dry in the mornings. And because I am spending so much quality time with my hair dryer lately, my hair is also getting fried. I started using this stuff a couple of weeks ago and it is the first time I’ve ever used a product and can honestly say I started seeing a difference. I feel like my hair looks and feels so much healthier. High five, Pantene.
7. I can’t stop listening to JT’s 20/20 Experience: Part 2 lately. I will always be a tried and true JT fan.
8. If I had a baby, I would be putting it in one of these PRONTO. Seriously, how cute are they?! On the whole, kids’ clothing is so much lamer than it has any right to be, it’s nice to see someone spicing things up a little.
9. If you haven’t seen this series of colorized historical photos, check them out. I am absolutely stunned by how well these turned out and how much most of them look like they were shot in color film to begin with. Not to mention it’s just a beautiful collection of photos, period.
10. So, I will be not be filing this under something that I’m loving…rather something that I am having a hard time believing. These are two examples of some billboard advertising for new apartment buildings being built in Uptown. While probably effective for getting the kind of people they want to live in these buildings, it’s also shameless. And, frankly, gross.
11. COOLEST. DATE. EVER.
12. I have been stalking this hat for ages and finally pulled the trigger recently after it had been restocked the latest time (which, based on how fast this thing has been selling out, it’s probably at least the 3rd or 4th time) and I’m really really glad I did. I am determined to become more of a hat person and this awesome hat is definitely going to help. Also, I never thought I’d like the ball cap trend, but this is looking more and more appealing all the time.
13. And lastly! Elephants! For obvious elephant reasons.